Who can be a representative payee?

Who can be a representative payee?

The payee can be a friend, relative, or family member. The proposed payee cannot have felony convictions and must have a means of support, which can either be a form of employment or even a monthly benefit, such as a Social Security retirement benefit or a Social Security disability benefit.

Does a representative payee have to live in the same state?

Yes, although the SSA seems to prefer that the payee live relatively nearby the beneficiary. answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Is a payee a beneficiary?

In order to be a payee, you must apply for and be appointed by Social Security. A beneficiary is a person who receives Social Security and/or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments. Social Security and SSI are two different programs.

Can a payee go to jail?

Representative payees are not allowed to use any of the Social Security funds that they manage for themselves. If the Social Security Administration finds that you’ve charged fees or used any of the money for yourself, you can be forced to repay the beneficiary. You can also be fined or even go to jail.

How do I remove a payee from Social Security?

When you want to change your rep payee, go to your Social Security Administration field office and request a change of payee. You will be given a form to fill out, and guidance will be provided if necessary.

Where is the representative payee office in Rutland VT?

The Representative Payee office is located at: 1 Scale Avenue, Suite 109 Rutland, VT 05701-4460 Phone: (802) 786-5045

How does the Social Security Representative Payee Program work?

Social Security’s Representative Payment Program provides benefit payment management for our beneficiaries who are incapable of managing their Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments. We appoint a suitable representative payee (payee) who manages the payments on behalf of the beneficiaries. Generally, we look for family

What’s the difference between a payee and an authorized representative?

Being an authorized representative, having power of attorney, or a joint bank account with the beneficiary is not the same as being a payee. These arrangements do not give legal authority to negotiate and manage a beneficiary’s Social Security and/or SSI benefits. In order to be a payee, you must apply for and be appointed by Social Security.

Can a Virginia Tech student see an authorized payer?

You can save payment account information under a Payment Profile. The student cannot see your saved payment profiles. Every time an Authorized Payer makes a payment, the student is sent an email informing them of the payment made on their account. Want to allow someone else to view and pay your Virginia Tech eBills?