How do I get rid of a mattress in Westchester County?

How do I get rid of a mattress in Westchester County?

Furniture Sharehouse accepts gently used basic furniture (including mattresses), re-distributing it free of charge to clients of several dozen Westchester County Member Agencies. (Furniture Bank Association of North America lists other furniture banks around the country).

How do I dispose of paint in Westchester County?

Westchester County Department of Environmental Facilities

  1. To dispose empty paint cans: Put them out next to the garbage with the lid off.
  2. To dispose cans with paint: Harden the paint by mixing it with kitty litter or another absorbent pellet material (such as Speedy-Dri) until no liquid remains.
  3. Wallauer’s.

How do you dispose of batteries in Westchester County?

If the battery cannot be removed, the entire product may be brought to a local drop-off site or residents may bring these items to the Household Material Recovery Facility. All RadioShack, Home Depot and Lowe’s stores accept (free of charge and no purchase necessary) rechargeable batteries.

Where can I recycle tires in Westchester NY?

If you have a stockpile of old tires (up to 4 per household), these may be brought to the Westchester County Household Recycling Facility, located at the Grasslands Campus, 15 Woods Road, Valhalla. Go to the website for information. You may also call the Westchester County Recycling Helpline at (914) 813-5425.

How do I donate furniture in Westchester NY?

Residents can call the toll-free number 1-877-399-2570 to arrange for free home pickup of donated household items. To schedule a pick-up online go to www.bbbsdonate.org. There are also drop-off bins will placed throughout Westchester.

What is meant by waste disposal?

Waste disposal, the collection, processing, and recycling or deposition of the waste materials of human society. In industrialized countries, municipal liquid waste is funneled through sewage systems, where it undergoes wastewater treatment, or sewage treatment.

How do you recycle rechargeable batteries?

Rechargeable batteries can be recycled through mail-in, drop-off, or take-back programs. In fact, many states prohibit throwing batteries in the trash, which means recycling batteries is your only option. To find your nearest battery drop-off location, jump to the recycling locator.

Do I need to recycle alkaline batteries?

As Duracell’s website says: “Alkaline batteries can be safely disposed of with normal household waste.” Energizer confirms that regular batteries are fine to toss in the trash, but says rechargeable batteries should be recycled according to US federal guidelines.

How do I schedule a Salvation Army pick up?

How to schedule a Salvation Army pick up: To schedule a Salvation Army pick up, head to satruck.org/donate/choose and enter in your zip code. From there, you’ll list the items that you plan to donate and then schedule a pick up date.

Who is responsible for recycling in Westchester County?

As its name suggests, the Westchester County Department of Environmental Facilities oversees the operations of various facilities that deal with the environment. These include the: The department is responsible for all recycling efforts of the county, including the Household Material Recovery Facility (H-MRF) collection days.

Where to drop off electronics in Westchester County?

E-waste drop-off containers are located at some municipal DPW yards throughout the county. Contact your local Municipal Recycling Office for more details. You can also bring your e-waste to the Household Material Recovery Facility. Please refer to the special household waste page for other household items that require special handling.

How to contact Westchester County Department of Environmental facilities?

You may find additional information on our Household Material Recovery Facility (H-MRF) page, or call our Recycling HelpLine at (914) 813-5425. Motor oil, oil filters and vehicle batteries require special handling.

Where can I recycle fluorescent bulbs in Westchester County?

The county also accepts hazardous chemicals and fluorescent bulbs from any school, institution or business that qualifies as a Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG). For more information regarding fees, appointments and what is acceptable, call our Recycling Helpline at (914) 813-5425.