What are the 5 food group categories?
As the MyPlate icon shows, the five food groups are Fruits, Vegetables, Grains, Protein Foods, and Dairy. The 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans emphasizes the importance of an overall healthy eating pattern with all five groups as key building blocks, plus oils.
What are the categories for food?
The basic food groups are:
- breads, cereals, rice, pasta, noodles and other grains.
- vegetables and legumes.
- milk, yoghurt, cheese and/or alternatives.
- lean meat, fish, poultry, eggs, nuts and legumes.
What are the 6 categories that food falls under?
The 6 Major Food Groups
- Whole grains and starchy vegetables.
- Fruits and non-starchy vegetables.
- Dairy and non-dairy alternatives.
- Fish, poultry, meat, eggs and alternatives.
- Heart-healthy oils.
- Elective or Discretionary Calories.
What are the 3 categories of food?
There are 5 major food groups:
What are the six food groups and examples?
There are six categories in the Food Pyramid: the bread, cereal, rice, and pasta group (grains), the fruit group, the vegetable group, the meat, poultry, fish, dry beans, eggs, and nuts group (protein), the milk, yogurt, and cheese group (dairy), and the fats, oils, and sweets group.
What are the 4 food categories?
The four main food groups in a balanced diet are:
- Fruits and Vegetables.
- Meats and Proteins.
What are 4 types of convenience foods?
Types. Convenience foods can include products such as candy; beverages such as soft drinks, juices and milk; nuts, fruits and vegetables in fresh or preserved states; processed meats and cheeses; and canned products such as soups and pasta dishes.
What are the 7 basic food groups?
There are seven major classes of nutrients: carbohydrates, fats, dietary fiber, minerals, proteins, vitamins, and water.
What are the four food groups?
The four food groups
- plenty of vegetables and fruit.
- grain foods, mostly whole grain and those naturally high in fibre.
- some milk and milk products, mostly low- and reduced-fat.
- some legumes, nuts, seeds, fish and other seafood, eggs or poultry, or red meat with the fat removed.