How do I create a Windows service in Visual Studio?
Create a service
- From the Visual Studio File menu, select New > Project (or press Ctrl+Shift+N) to open the New Project window.
- Navigate to and select the Windows Service (. NET Framework) project template.
- For Name, enter MyNewService, and then select OK. The Design tab appears (Service1.
How do I create a Windows service?
Steps to create a user-defined service
- At an MS-DOS command prompt(running CMD.EXE), type the following command: Console Copy.
- Run Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe) and locate the following subkey:
- From the Edit menu, select Add Key.
- Select the Parameters key.
- From the Edit menu, select Add Value.
- Close Registry Editor.
How do I create a Windows background service?
In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to:
- Publish a . NET worker app as a single file executable.
- Create a Windows Service.
- Create the BackgroundService app as a Windows Service.
- Start and stop the Windows Service.
- View event logs.
- Delete the Windows Service.
How do I deploy a console application as a Windows service?
So here’s the complete walkthrough:
- Create new Console Application project (e.g. MyService)
- Add two library references: System. ServiceProcess and System.
- Add the three files printed below.
- Build the project and run “InstallUtil.exe c:\path\to\MyService.exe”
- Now you should see MyService on the service list (run services.
How do I automatically install windows services?
. NET Windows Service Installer and Auto Start After Installation
- Right-Click the Setup Project you just created.
- Click “Add”, then “Project Output…”
- In the dialog that appears select your Windows Service Project as Primary Output, then click OK.
What are the steps to install Windows service?
Perform the following:
- Start up the command prompt (CMD) with administrator rights.
- Type c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v4. 0.30319\installutil.exe [your windows service path to exe]
- Press return and that’s that!
When should you use a Windows service?
You should create a Windows Service to run code in the background, without user interaction. For example, a Windows Service will run even if no-one is logged on. Any server that accepts connections (such as a mail, web, or FTP server) should usually be a Windows Service.
How do I run an EXE as a service?
Let’s talk about how to set it up.
- Step One: Install SrvStart. To run an app as a service, you’re going to need a small, third-party utility.
- Step Two: Create a Configuration File for the New Service.
- Step Three: Use the Command Prompt to Create the New Service.
How do I make my console application run automatically?
To open Windows Scheduler go to the Start menu and in the search box type “Scheduler”, then it will display the Task Scheduler. Click on that. After clicking on it, a window will open where you can create a task. Click on the “Create Task” link on the right side and it opens the “Create Task” window.
How do I run a Windows service from the command line?
To start a service with the command line, use these steps:
- Open Start.
- Search for Command Prompt, right-click the top result, and select the Run as administrator option.
- Type the following command to start a service and press Enter: net start “SERVICE-NAME”
What are Windows services used for?
Microsoft Windows services, formerly known as NT services, enable you to create long-running executable applications that run in their own Windows sessions. These services can be automatically started when the computer boots, can be paused and restarted, and do not show any user interface.
How do I change my Windows service name?
How to change the Service Name
- Open the Registry Editor.
- On the left, navigate to the section where Windows Services are recorded:
- Find and highlight your service in the list.
- Right-click the entry and choose Rename:
- Enter the new name.
- Reboot your computer.