How can we help save elephants?
How can we help save elephants?
To get there, we employ five major strategies:
- Prevent illegal killing.
- Protect elephant habitat.
- Monitor elephant numbers, poaching rates, and threats to elephant habitat at key sites in Africa and Asia.
- Reduce ivory trafficking.
- Reduce the demand for ivory.
What cool things can elephants do?
4 things you didn’t know elephants do for you
- Elephants plant trees and fight climate change. Studies have shown that elephants help protect forest health in central Africa by distributing the seeds of trees.
- Protecting elephants increases security.
- Elephants support other species.
- They’re a tourist attraction.
Why is it important to save the elephants?
Elephants help maintain forest and savanna ecosystems for other species and are integrally tied to rich biodiversity. Elephants are important ecosystem engineers. They make pathways in dense forested habitat that allow passage for other animals.
Can elephants be saved?
Yes, you can save elephants by switching your coffee choices. There are coffee plantations that deforest an elephant’s habitat. This deforestation leaves elephants without homes and leads them to get into conflict with humans.
What are 10 facts about elephants?
Top 10 facts about elephants
- They’re the world’s largest land animal.
- You can tell the two species apart by their ears.
- Their trunks have mad skills.
- Their tusks are actually teeth.
- They’ve got thick skin.
- Elephants are constantly eating.
- They communicate through vibrations.
- Calves can stand within 20 minutes of birth.
What Year Will elephants be extinct?
WWF Says African Elephants Will Be Extinct by 2040 If We Don’t Act Right Away. The African elephant will disappear within two decades if urgent action is not taken to save one of the world’s most iconic animal species, the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) has warned in a new campaign fundraiser.
What’s the best way to save an elephant?
One of the top 10 ways to save elephants is simply by sharing your knowledge about elephants with family and friends. Follow non-profit organizations on social media to stay up to date on the latest elephant news. Or, there is always the option of wearing one of our elephant t-shirts that can help start conversations and raise awareness.
What can I give to someone who loves elephants?
If you know someone who loves elephants, give them the gift of symbolically adopting an elephant. Several organizations will let you “adopt” an elephant. You might receive a plush elephant, certificate of adoption, photo, informational card, or gift bag with your donation.
How can we stop the trade in elephant ivory?
Avoid products made with elephant ivory. Thousands of elephants are killed for their ivory tusks every year. To discourage the ivory trade, don’t buy any items that are made with ivory. If you’re unsure if a product contains ivory, ask what it’s made of and where it was made.
How can I support an elephant protection organization?
Once you’ve found an elephant protection organization that you want to support, learn how it uses its funds. Some organizations educate people that frequently come into conflict with elephants, others protect the rangers that guard elephants against poachers and some provide medical treatment and help to elephants injured by poachers.